The main goal in DBT is to decrease any-type of problem behavior.
Behaviors to Decrease:
- Interpersonal Chaos, loneliness, being in unhealthy relationships
- Unstable moods and emotions, and willfulness
- Impulsive behavior, difficulty accepting reality
- Mindlessness, emptiness, judgmental attitude
Behaviors to Increase:
- Interpersonal effectiveness
- Emotional Regulation
- Distress Tolerance
Before setting a goal with a client we do a quick Values Assessment:
The next step is the fun DBT activity of the DBT House:
As stated in the Podcast other people have used the SMART goals Model :
Please reference here for more info on SMART Goals.